Our providers strive to give the best dermatologic care available. As such, the following guidelines have been established to ensure that our interaction with each other can be mutually fulfilling and successful. We kindly ask your cooperation in working with our insurance policy as we will make every effort to assist you any way we can and within reason.
Dermatology Associates of the Lowcountry providers are participating physicians with Medicare. This means we will bill Medicare directly for 80% of your bill. The patient is responsible for the remaining 20% of the allowable charges and the annual deductible. If your deductible has not been met, you are required to pay your bill up to the first $135.00 based on Medicare’s fee schedule. The 20% not paid by Medicare is also your responsibility and should be paid at the time of service. The only exception is if you have secondary coverage with an authorized Medigap carrier; therefore, our office will bill your secondary insurance directly. You will be responsible for any balance not paid by your secondary insurance carrier.
If you have Medicare as well as secondary coverage with a commercial plan that is not Medigap or is an insurance company with which we have no contract, we will collect the deductible, 20% and/or co-payment at the time service is rendered. Our office will print a claim form for you to file with your secondary insurance. Payment of the 20%, however, must be made at the time of service.
If you are enrolled in a Medicare HMO, please advise our staff. If we have contracted with that plan, you are only required to pay your annual deductible (if any) and your co-payment.
We participate with most insurance companies. In accordance with your insurance carrier, it is your responsibility for any co-insurance, annual deductible or co-payment upon each visit. If you are unsure of our participation with your insurance carrier, please contact the member customer service number provided on the back-side of your insurance card prior to your appointment. Provided below is a list of participating insurance carriers.
- BCBS – PPO & BCBS State Plan
- BEECH STREET/MULTI-PLAN
- CCN - Carolina Care Network
- FIRST HEALTH
- PHCS – Private Health Care Services
- PHS – Physician Health Services
- UHC – United Health Care
Some insurance carriers require you to obtain a physician referral to a Specialist. A Dermatologist is recognized as a Specialist; therefore, a valid Physician Referral Authorization must be obtained by our office prior to your visit.
Our fees are within the customary range for this area and reflect the level of care you will receive and the high level of training by the providers taking care of you. Usually a cost estimate for procedures cannot be determined until you have been seen by the provider for a consultation and the diagnosis has been established.
Charges, co-payments, co-insurance and deductibles are required at the time of the visit. We accept cash, check, Visa/MasterCard, American Express and Discover.
We do not file insurance claims for cosmetic procedures. Insurance companies that have chosen us to be participating providers require that we file claims for medically necessary services only; therefore, payment of non-covered services is due at the time of service.